Kenneth C.K. Koo
Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Representing the Third Generation of a 100 years old family shipping enterprise, Mr. Koo joined the family business “Tai Chong Cheang Steamship Co. (H.K.) Ltd.” in 1983 after he graduated and received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of San Diego.
Throughout his 30-plus years’ career in the shipping industry, Mr. Koo has focused much of his efforts in establishing a strong and reputable fleet management foundation for TCC which included innovative approaches to safety and technical management as well as in the area of manning and training of seafarers. He has also worked extensively with Chinese and Korean shipyards developing and constructing pioneering proto-type merchant vessels. These technical exploits have earned him a well respected and reputable standing in the shipping industry. He took over the reins of the TCC Group in 2005 which he will lead towards its Centenary in 2017.
Mr. Koo has also worked tirelessly in developing a leadership role in the maritime industry. His work included leading a working group in the HK Shipowners Association developing the first ever set of guidelines for the selection and application of ballast tank coatings in 1994, forming a working group of 12 Mainland China maritime education training institutes to develop unified minimum standards of training in 1999, developing a proto-type “Yangtzemax” capesize bulk carrier with Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipyard in 2000 and, most recently, in 2010, establishing a research and development program with the University of Southern California’s Viterbi School of Engineering to develop complete combustion efficiency in marine diesel engines in order to address the pressing environmental issues of greenhouse gas emissions from ships. Finally, through his positions as past Chairman of the HK Shipowners Association and present Vice Chairmanship of INTERTANKO, Mr. Koo continues to champion a stronger Asian voice in the maritime industry.
- American Bureau of Shipping – Member (since 1991)
- American Bureau of Shipping – Technical Committee Member (Since 1996)
- American Bureau of Shipping – Southeast Asia Regional Committee Member (Since 1997)
- Hong Kong Shipowners Association – Chairman (11/2009 – 11/2011) and Executive Committee Member (1994 - present)
- Bureau Veritas Asia Australia Committee – Member (Since 1992)
- Bureau Veritas Technical Committee – Member (since 2002)
- Hong Kong Maritime Industry Council – Member (2005 - 2011)
- Hong Kong Maritime Museum Trust – Trustee (Since 2005)
- International Association of Independent Tanker Owners (INTERTANKO) – Council Member (1996 - 2015)
- International Shipping Federation - Council Member (1997 - 2005)
- Institute of Seatransport – Honorary President (Since 2000)
- The Britannia Steam Ship Insurance Association Limited – Committee Member (Since 2004)
- Sailors’ Home & Missions to Seamen, Hong Kong of the General Committee – Member (Since 2006)
- Port Welfare Committee of Marine Department, HKSAR – Chairman (9/2008 – 6/2011)
- University of San Diego - School of Business Administration - Advisory Board (since 2008)
- Hong Kong Logistics Management Staff Association – Honourable Chairman (since 2010)
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University – The Departmental Advisory Committee of the Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies (LMS) - Chairman (9/2010 - 8/2012)
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University – The Faculty Advisory Committee / Faculty of Business – ex-officio member ( 9/2010 – 8/2012)
- City University of Hong Kong Maritime Law Centre Advisory Board Member
- City University of Hong Kong – Advisory Committee of Centre for Transport, Trade and Financial Studies – Advisor (01/2012 to 12/2016)
- City University of Hong Kong – Honorary Fellow Award 2012
- University of Southern California - Viterbi School of Engineering China & East Asia Advisory Board (since 2012)
- The Hong Kong Sea school – Board of Management (2013 - 2015)
- Court of City University of Hong Kong – Member (01/2013-2018)
- International Association of Independent Tanker Owners (Intertanko) - Vice Chairman (since 2015)
- International Association of Independent Tanker Owners (Intertanko) - Chairman of Asian Panel (since 2015)
Kenneth C.K. Koo currently leads TCC as the third generation Group Chairman of TCC.